QueenSpark Books' MissionDedicated to gathering and preserving untold stories of Brighton & Hove
Since 1972 QueenSpark Books has been dedicated to gathering, preserving and making accessible Brighton & Hove’s histories. We do this through publishing oral histories or creative responses to local history, via books, e-books, exhibitions, events, websites and other projects.
To inspire and involve residents of Brighton & Hove – particularly people who are seldom heard – to share and preserve their stories in an artful and accessible way; engaging the wider community in understanding those stories.
QueenSpark Books aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- Contributing to the cultural and artistic social fabric of Brighton & Hove
- Illuminating histories and heritage through the engagement of a broad range of residents in telling their stories
- Better informing residents and educating them about the social histories of our city
- Enabling volunteers to learn publishing and heritage skills
- Connecting residents to enable a greater understanding of one another’s cultural context and histories
QueenSpark Books values:
- The importance of sharing diverse social histories in order to facilitate greater understanding and inclusion
- The importance of art and heritage in the creation of community identities
- The principal of non-profit making in the sharing of people’s stories and the reinvestment of any surplus into the telling of further stories
- The importance of engaging people and communities who are seldom heard in quality arts & heritage projects
- A commitment to equality and diversity in our work practices and outputs